Okay, so as you know.. I’m a busy person. I don’t have a ton of extra time to be baking or cooking food for holidays so yesterday I was in a bind. I finished training my clients around 11:00 and realized I hadn’t prepared ANYTHING for the 4th of July festivities. Since I’m the youngest sibling, it’s pretty much assumed I don’t have to contribute when it comes to food or presents (being that I am poor haha). However, this year I wanted to contribute… so I cheated and made a super simple and cheap (half homemade) angel food cake casserole.
First, you buy 2 pre-made angel food cake loafs, fresh strawberries and blueberries, and a tub of cool whip. CHEAP!
1) Wash and prepare the fresh fruit
I sliced the strawberries into quarters
2) Place the strawberries in a bowl and add as much as 1 cup of sugar. I probably used 1/2 cup. I used this kind of sugar, just because it was what I had in my pantry.
Cover the sugar covered strawberries and place in the refrigerator for about an hour.
(This creates enough time for me to shower and get ready before heading to the festivities)
3) Slice the loaf of angel food cake. Use a bread knife and move slowly. Depending on the quality of the angel food, some may be easier to slice than others.
I sliced the loaf horizontally in three layers.
4) Place the angel food cake in the bottom of a dish and cover with cool whip!
If you’re anything like me, you use a generous amount of cool whip (about half of the tub)!
5) Mix the blueberries in with the sugary strawberries. Make sure that there is an even coat of sugary goodness on both the strawberries and blueberries. Then place the fruit on top of the cool whip. Pour any juice left in the bowl over the top of the fruit, yum!
6) With the extra loaf left overs, cut out some star shapes to place on the top of the dish. Excuse my janky star shapes.. I couldn’t find my cookie cutters so I have to hand cut them. #amateurstatus
7) Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve! There it is.. easy and cheap 4th of July dessert!
This is a delicious option for a summer get together that won’t break the bank or rob you of your time.
I hope you all had a wonderful 4th! I meant to take a few pictures of our firework show and family get together, but I was just having too much fun!
Thanks for stopping by,